Thursday, February 07, 2008

February in Focus

Dear Friends & Family~
A lovely new blanket of snow is falling today, covering over the mud & slush that have been threatening to take over our school yard. I love snow, even if I’m not fond of being cold. I have many things to be thankful for, including the beauty of this day.

No Place like Home for the Holidays
Back in December, I asked for a short leave of absence at the start of 2nd semester, and I’m grateful to have been given that time. I was able to have a total of 6 weeks in the US, and this was the first time in the last 6 years that I was able to spend Christmas with my entire immediate family.

The remainder of my stateside time after the holidays was spent sorting, packing & moving things to storage. My parents want very much to sell their house in Jefferson City. There is still much that must be done, but I was able to assist my family with a large chunk of the task. I’m still grieving the impending loss of a permanent home in Missouri, but at least I had a tiny bit of closure with my old house.

Extra-special Christmas Gifts
One of the biggest blessings about being in Jeff City was having the opportunity to see friends, and to attend my home church for three weeks in a row! It was such a privilege for me to be able to attend a worship service to just worship, not to prepare a presentation. I’d actually wrestled long & hard about my decision not to try and raise support while I was stateside. In spite of the huge financial need I had, I really felt that it wasn’t my purpose for being home.

I was absolutely stunned in God’s provision for me, literally hours before the end of 2007. My support goals for the calendar year had not been met, and in my own mind, there was no way that I could possibly make up for what hadn’t come in. Between Dec. 29th and 31st, the amount of donations I received not only completed my support for 2007, but provided enough for January of 2008! I continue to thank the Lord for His amazing timing, and for all of you who were a part of this miraculous provision.

As Long as I’m in the Country…
Some of you will remember that my dad had back surgery in November. One of Dad’s vocal cords was paralyzed after the surgery, which meant that he hardly had a voice. I was really saddened in not hearing Dad sing Christmas carols, or share stories around the dinner table, and I was very concerned that his voice might not ever return to normal. Praise the Lord, just a few days after New Year’s, Dad’s voice was restored! I actually cried when I heard his voice over the telephone.

Another reason for my extended time in the States was to be able to go with Dad to see his neurosurgeon, and to learn more about potential treatments for his back. Please continue to pray for my dad. I know that the doctors are highly skilled, but after learning more about the subsequent surgeries he is facing, my prayer is that God would miraculously heal his spine.

Back in Office, In Body at Least
My return to Moscow occurred on January 27th, and I have been trying to catch up on work, sleep, and time with students ever since. Jet lag hit me very hard this round, and while I’m finally sleeping through the nights, I’m still fighting weariness. Fortunately, the days are starting to get a little longer, and I know it won’t be long until we have 7 or more hours of daylight again.

Ye Olde Odds & Ends
English CafĂ© lives on, in spite of the absence of its beloved directors. Our attendance continues to average 30 young people an evening, and we are SO thankful to for the continued opportunity to speak the Truth. Please continue to pray for this outreach through language. Once again, I’m co-directing our spring play, so my afternoons & evenings are quickly filling up with rehearsals, costume fittings, & set design sessions. Our performance dates are Mar. 27th & 28th, for anyone who’s interested.

My roommate & I continue to open our home to co-workers & students, hosting at least two dinners a week. Last evening found us giving a baby shower for our school chaplain’s wife, and I rejoiced that God has blessed us with a flat that’s large enough for bigger gatherings this year!

For those of you with Skype, I have finally added it to my home computer! I don’t know how often I can be on, but I’m looking forward to free conversations whenever possible.

Thank you for your continued interest & support of my work at Hinkson Christian Academy. Thank you for sending words of friendship & encouragement. Thank you for praying with us for the needs which we have.

In His Name,
Christiana

No comments: