If it's traditional Russian матрёшки (nesting dolls) you want, you'll find them here in abundance. There's no end to the creativity employed in the faces & pictures applied in paint. Black laquer boxes are everywhere as well, ranging from teeny, thimble-sized things to boxes big enough in which to pack your clothes. I'm not sure who actually buys the laquer boxes shaped like violins, although I must confess to owning one in the form of a балалайка.
There's never any shortage to the rando
m things for sale at Ismailovo. I never truly understood how bizzare a bazzar could be until I encountered the diving helmet. Equally as curious are the antique fighter pilots' masks, the enormous metal vats, and the US license plates. (Yes, in all seriousness! There is a vendor who sells old US plates!)
Back in the days of the Mongol invasions, I could see going out & picking
up a cauldron for the boiling of oil, etc., but what exactly would a tourist want with this thing? How would you get it home, for that matter?!
My favorite items to look for are linens. I have perhaps an unhealthy affection for napkins & table runners, and have accumulated enough table clothes to have a different one out each day of the week. I'm also enamored of china, particularly the traditional blue & white гжель patterns, as well as the "Catherine the Great" imperial porcelian. I love being able to set a beautiful table for dinner!
Today's mission, however, was not for linens or china per se, but for beaded eggs. I first discovered these ornaments about a year & a half ago. I'd wandered down the very last lane of stalls and happened upon a brilliant display of bead craft, egg-shaped ornaments among them. I struck up a conversation with Olga, the artist, and inquired as to how long it took her to produce these lovely little beaded decorations. "About an hour for an egg; a little longer for larger ornaments," came her reply. I was amazed. To put together something like this would take me days, perfectionism getting the better of me no doubt. I made a large purchase of little eggs that day,
to give as gifts to friends & supporters that next year when I was home.
I've probably purchased more than 100 such ornaments over the last 18 months. My friends & I now make a regular pilgramage to see "The Egg Lady", as Olga has come to be known, each time we're there. Today, we actually got to see her in action, as she deftly attached little loops to ornaments for us to take back as gifts. Olga gifted me with an extra Christmas sphere today, as a thank you for the additional business I've brought her.
It's a curious place, Ismailovo, but a very fun place to visit.
up a cauldron for the boiling of oil, etc., but what exactly would a tourist want with this thing? How would you get it home, for that matter?!My favorite items to look for are linens. I have perhaps an unhealthy affection for napkins & table runners, and have accumulated enough table clothes to have a different one out each day of the week. I'm also enamored of china, particularly the traditional blue & white гжель patterns, as well as the "Catherine the Great" imperial porcelian. I love being able to set a beautiful table for dinner!
Today's mission, however, was not for linens or china per se, but for beaded eggs. I first discovered these ornaments about a year & a half ago. I'd wandered down the very last lane of stalls and happened upon a brilliant display of bead craft, egg-shaped ornaments among them. I struck up a conversation with Olga, the artist, and inquired as to how long it took her to produce these lovely little beaded decorations. "About an hour for an egg; a little longer for larger ornaments," came her reply. I was amazed. To put together something like this would take me days, perfectionism getting the better of me no doubt. I made a large purchase of little eggs that day,
to give as gifts to friends & supporters that next year when I was home.I've probably purchased more than 100 such ornaments over the last 18 months. My friends & I now make a regular pilgramage to see "The Egg Lady", as Olga has come to be known, each time we're there. Today, we actually got to see her in action, as she deftly attached little loops to ornaments for us to take back as gifts. Olga gifted me with an extra Christmas sphere today, as a thank you for the additional business I've brought her.
It's a curious place, Ismailovo, but a very fun place to visit.
No comments:
Post a Comment