In case you missed the headline, today happens to be a very special holiday. It's not just any holiday, but an international holiday at that!
Chances are, you're wracking your brain right now trying to figure out what you're missing, and why on earth your local Hallmark store didn't alert you that this was coming. You're not alone. You are however, in all probability, American.
March 8th happens to be International Women's Day - a day for celebrating the lives and accomplishments of all women, everywhere! It's a day for each and every woman to feel loved and important. It's a holiday which knows no borders, boundaries, language barriers, or religious differences...but yet never managed to make it across the Atlantic to the United States.
The first time I'd ever heard of International Women's Day was during my very first trip to Russia in 2000. When asked the date of my birthday, I replied, "March 8th." This brought oohs, aahs, and big smiles from the group, and my translator informed me that I was lucky to have my birthday on such a special holiday.
"Holiday? What holiday?" I inquired.
"Women's Day, of course," she replied, as puzzled by my puzzlement as I was by her comments.
"I've never heard of this holiday," I said apologetically.
My ignorance was quickly forgiven.
I appreciate Women's Day more each year. Granted, this is partially due to th
e fact that it seems as if the whole country is celebrating my birthday and we all have a day off from work, but there's more to it than just that. I love the fact that any woman - regardless of her age, vocation, marital status, or child-bearing function - has the opportunity to be celebrated for who she is, and for what God made her to be.
So while International Women's Day may remain unnoticed by the greeting-card industry, it certainly hasn't escaped my attention.
Happy Women's Day to All!
Chances are, you're wracking your brain right now trying to figure out what you're missing, and why on earth your local Hallmark store didn't alert you that this was coming. You're not alone. You are however, in all probability, American.
March 8th happens to be International Women's Day - a day for celebrating the lives and accomplishments of all women, everywhere! It's a day for each and every woman to feel loved and important. It's a holiday which knows no borders, boundaries, language barriers, or religious differences...but yet never managed to make it across the Atlantic to the United States.
The first time I'd ever heard of International Women's Day was during my very first trip to Russia in 2000. When asked the date of my birthday, I replied, "March 8th." This brought oohs, aahs, and big smiles from the group, and my translator informed me that I was lucky to have my birthday on such a special holiday.
"Holiday? What holiday?" I inquired.
"Women's Day, of course," she replied, as puzzled by my puzzlement as I was by her comments.
"I've never heard of this holiday," I said apologetically.
My ignorance was quickly forgiven.
I appreciate Women's Day more each year. Granted, this is partially due to th
e fact that it seems as if the whole country is celebrating my birthday and we all have a day off from work, but there's more to it than just that. I love the fact that any woman - regardless of her age, vocation, marital status, or child-bearing function - has the opportunity to be celebrated for who she is, and for what God made her to be.So while International Women's Day may remain unnoticed by the greeting-card industry, it certainly hasn't escaped my attention.
Happy Women's Day to All!
No comments:
Post a Comment