One of the signs that summer has really and truly arrived in Moscow is the appearance of пух. Пух has been explained to me as pollens, "flowers" or buds which have blown from various deciduous trees here in the city. The word translates literally as "fluff", "down" or "fuzz".
Although the blowing, billowing balls of white do nothing for my allergies, I rejoice when I see them starting to accumulate. It's a sign of summer. It means warm(er) weather & the occasional sunny day. It brings with it promises of still, silent afternoons, peaceful walks in a park, or long, lazy summer days. 
I have no idea if Russians would use this term or not, but I call the cottony carpet covering the ground летний снег - "summer snow". It seems to fit, don't you think?
This last picture doesn't do a summer snow storm justice, but if you look closely, you'll notice lots of white dots zipping past the bare tree branches. It's the best I could capture.
No comments:
Post a Comment